Ya’ll know I love True Botanicals. If you’re ready to make the switch to this clean, natural skincare brand but don’t know where to start or which product to try first, this review post (with a discount code) is for you. Detailing out my 5 must-try True Botanical products!
By: Lisa Fennessy
TOG is reader-supported, and this post contains affiliate links.
There are so many things I love about True Botanicals from their responsible packaging to their ingredient potency, to their product effectiveness to how about their line totally saved my skin and hair.
True Botanicals is seriously like my personal care life raft. I started using their CLEAR line and stopped getting hormonal breakouts. I started using their Nourishing Shampoo and my hair was all of a sudden clean for days. Two minutes of their Resurfacing Moisture Mask and it’s like glow city. And the list goes on an on. So, because I talk about this line all the time, I often I get asked; If I can only pick one of two products, what should I try first?
Well here it is friends! My top 5 picks from True Botanicals and IN ORDER. But, we’re gonna do a countdown, so if you can only buy one right now, make sure to scroll all the way #1. I promise, you won’t be disappointed. Get ready to stop compromising and start glowing.
SAVE: Code LISATRUE20 will save you $20 off your order of $40+!
5. Hydrating Cleanser
Okay here’s the deal with True Botanical’s Hydrating Cleansers. They will clean your skin without stripping the oils off your skin. Why is this so key? If you strip your face of its natural oils, your skin goes into overdrive and makes more oil to compensate. That’s when most people will experience “combo” skin or “oily” skin.
But when you let your skin regulate oil production on its own, guess what happens? Your skin evens out—and there is balance. This is totally what happened with my skin when I started using the True Botanicals CLEAR line which you can read all about my experience here.
So these cleansers won’t foam or suds. And they wont leave your skin feeling tight or dry. These pump out like a silky, milky serum, which you massage into your skin to take off all your grime. It can take off makeup too, but I prefer to take my makeup off first with an oil or a balm and then follow up with this as a second cleanse. My skin feels so hydrated and plump after!
Also love that their cleansers are packaged in glass with a pump. True Botanicals has a cleanser for every skin type here.
True Botanicals Hydrating Cleanser Pros:
- Won’t strip your skin of its natural oils.
- Helps reduce that “combo” or “oily” skin feel.
- The texture has a milky, gentle feel.
- Removes makeup (and daily grime).
- Skin feels hydrated and plump after use.
- Comes in glass.
- Is MADE SAFE Certified.
True Botanicals Hydrating Cleanser Cons (Considerations):
- Won’t foam or suds up (which, to me, is actually a pro, but if you’re looking for that feeling, you won’t get it here).
- Occasionally, you’ll have a bit of makeup residue leftover. That’s why I prefer the double cleansing method.
4. Pure Radiance Oil
I started using this oil again and my esthetician was like “OH LISA, YOUR SKIN LOOKS AMAZING!” I’m like, “I KNOW, I CAN’T GET ENOUGH!”
I’ve used both the Clear Pure Radiance Oil, which is great for clearing up blemishes and acne, and also the Renew Pure Radiance Oil, which is currently giving me a brilliant glow.
If you’ve never tried a face oil before, start with this one! While creams and lotions stay on the surface, face oils deliver nutrients to the deeper layers of the skin—where skin issues start.
This specific oil delivers chia seed and kiwi extract, two Omega-3 powerhouses which help skin retain moisture and shield it from environmental toxins. Passion fruit and papaya seed oil help gently dissolve excess oil and impurities. This oil has also outperformed ($300+) La Mer in every measure. It also has astaxanthin, (a group of red pigment) derived from microalgae, that’s proven to improve skin’s texture. I can’t get enough.
RELATED: True Botanicals CLEAR Line Review
True Botanicals Pure Radiance Oil Pros:
- Gives you a crazy glow by delivering nutrients to deeper layers of skin.
- Helps skin retain moisture.
- Shields skin from environmental toxins.
- In TB’s clinical trials, has outperformed ($300+) La Mer in every measure.
- Is packaged in glass with a glass dropper.
- Is MADE SAFE Certified.
True Botanicals Pure Radiance Oil Cons (Considerations):
- It’s a bit of an investment.
- I love the light scent, but if you’re not a floral person, this one is rose + jasmine…maybe not for you.
- If your skin leans oily or congested, I suggest the Clear vs. Renew.
3. Resurfacing Moisture Mask
A one-two punch that every woman needs in her skincare arsenal. Seriously. I love this mask because it makes my skin glow but mostly I love it because it’s QUICK!
Like, no time for a mask? You got time for this one, girl! The Resurfacing Moisture Mask goes on clear and stays on for 2-5 minutes only. Put it on before you brush your teeth and take it off when you are done! BAM! Glowing, radiant skin.
This mask is a clear gel-like consistency that you apply in a thin layer. It provides exfoliation, moisture and hydration. The secret ingredient here is astaxanthin, which I briefly mentioned above, and it’s what’s responsible for turning salmon, lobster, shrimp and flamingos pink.
It also happens to be 65x stronger than Vitamin C and 14x stronger than Vitamin E in combating free radicals. This NIH study shows it improves skin elasticity and texture, increases skin’s moisture content, reduces wrinkles and diminishes dark spots. It’s kind of like a little miracle ingredient. And after seeing it here for the first time, I’ve seen it in so many other green beauty products too.
And, it was repackaged in 2019 and now comes in 30 ml (instead of 50 ml) and is offered at a more attractive price point, which is awesome.
True Botanicals Resurfacing Moisture Mask Pros:
- Talk about increasing your skin’s glow!
- An effective and gentle exfoliator for most skin types.
- FAST—2 to 3 minutes is all you need!
- Over time, it helps with dark spots, hyperpigmentation and acne spots.
- Better price point.
- It’s packaged in glass.
- It’s MADE SAFE Certified.
True Botanicals Resurfacing Moisture Mask Cons (Considerations):
- If you have really sensitive skin, you might want to skip this one.
- Although I haven’t experienced this, some readers report it can sting a bit on any areas of redness or irritation, so don’t overuse it or apply to upset skin.
This mask is life! Get it here!
2. True Botanicals Nourishing Shampoo
Okay, so after trying all the grocery store clean shampoos and even a few special order brands—I was ready to go back to my Pantene and call it a day. I didn’t want to use the toxins, but I can’t stand washing my hair and having it still be dirty.
I can’t deal with that. I just can’t.
So I was chatting with my girl Suzi and confessing that I was about to crossover to the dark side and she said, “Girl. Try True Botanicals shampoo!” So I did and I never looked back.
Two rounds of washing and my hair is light, clean and bouncy. PLUS, that washing lasts 3 days before I have to wash again. If you’re currently washing your hair daily, it will take some time to transition to a 3-4 day wash cycle—but it can be done! You just have to give it some time to let your sebaceous glands regulate to a new routine.
Not only does this shampoo clean hair, it foams (yes, it really does!), the ingredients are clean and it comes with a screw cap (and a pump) so you can alternate between both if you are traveling. It’s spendy but it will last a few months especially if you are not washing daily. Also, it has a beautiful, fresh and clean scent.
Read my full review here. Or just cut to the chase and buy here. Oh and True Botanicals also has a subscribe and save option where you pick the products and the duration and they will auto deliver + save you 10%—WORTH IT!
RELATED: True Botanicals GROVE Lotion
True Botanicals Nourishing Shampoo Pros:
- It gets your hair clean—like actually clean—with nontoxic ingredients.
- I can go 3 days without re-washing.
- It smells incredible.
- Has a pump and a screw cap option.
- It works on all hair types because it won’t dry hair or scalp out.
- It’s MADE SAFE Certified.
True Botanicals Nourishing Shampoo Cons (Considerations):
- Pricey—but it lasts if you’re not washing every day.
- You’ll have to go through a transition period to get to where you can wash less than daily, if you’re currently washing daily. But that’s the case for ANY change to natural shampoo.
- I wish they offered refills.
P.S. True Botanicals reformulated their conditioner in 2019 and it’s too heavy for me now. So I don’t personally recommend it but if you have dry hair, it may be a good match for you. I prefer this conditioner. Also, be sure to check out my full haircare/styling routine here.
1. True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask
What does my TOP PICK, the Moisture Lock Overnight Mask, do? First and foremost, this mask has been PROVEN to increase skin’s hydration +25.2% in just 24 hours. And +37.7% after a week of consistent use. PROVEN. What more does a girl need?!
Despite the name “mask,” this is actually a very lightweight cream. Keep your skincare routine exactly the same and add this as very last layer both day and night and let the transformation begin!
Everyone needs this both day and night during the winter months and definitely overnight year round. SKINCARE STAPLE LADIES (and gents).
True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask Pros:
- Increases skin’s hydration after just one use—you can see it and feel it!
- Easy to add to your skincare routine.
- Great for colder and/or drier climates.
- Accessible price point from this line.
- Smells light and fresh.
- Packaged in glass.
- MADE SAFE Certified.
True Botanicals Moisture Lock Overnight Mask Cons (Considerations):
- A little goes a long way (which is a good thing!)—you’ll likely put too much on the first couple times, and have a hard time rubbing it in (shrug).
- That’s it—this has, like, no cons!
And just because I can… there are two more faves worth mentioning!
The Pre Cleanse Oil is one of those products that just kind of crept up on me and then the moment I realized I was out, I panicked a little. I love using this oil in three ways:
- At the end of the day as a makeup remover. The oil itself has an incredible slip and is so effective at loosening up dirt, makeup, grime and the like. After makeup is loosened I use a warm cloth (I LOVE this one) to remove the oil. Then I go back in with a gentle cleanser like True Botanicals Hydrating Cleanser to finish the job.
- Okay I also use it in the morning to massage my face when I first wake up. It’s a great way to de-puff and stimulate circulation plus it feels amazing. Then I remove the oil with a warm cloth but I don’t go in with a second cleanse in the morning. This keeps my skin more moisturized throughout the day.
- Lastly, I use it for face massage in the evening to lessen wrinkles, drain the lymph system and keep skin looking young. If you haven’t tried face massage – do it!
I also love that the Pre Cleanse Oil is 100% organic too. Buy here!
I have the Antioxidant Booster pictured but I really like both the Antioxidant Booster and the Vitamin C Booster equally. In fact, I like alternating between the both of them nightly to get the benefits of each. Typically when you see a Vitamin C treatment or an antioxidant serum they come pre-formulated as a serum in a bottle. But both of these come dry which is a benefit in four ways.
First of all, without the addition of water, they will last. Second, without the addition of water, there is no need for a preservative.
Third, you control the dose. This powder gets added to your face oil, face serum or moisturizer so if you want a little bit more, you add more or a little less, you add less.
And fourth, it retains maximum potency until it’s mixed and activated —where as your typical pre-mixed serum will sit on a shelf and degrade daily. It’s really a brilliant concept.
Plus each of them is formulated to cut to the chase and made with only 3-4 ingredients.
The Antioxidant Booster promises to clear acne, calm inflammation, reduce redness, lighten scaring, even skin tone, brighten hyperpigmentation, firm skin and smooth wrinkles. (I love adding this to my face oil or an oil serum to avoid clumping). Read my full review here!
The Vitamin C Booster promises to stimulate collagen production, firm, repair, fight wrinkles, even skin tone and brighten.
These are $90 each. Shop here!
Shop True Botanicals
So that’s my top 5 (plus encores). If you haven’t tried anything by True Botanicals or you have been wanting to try but don’t know where to start – start with some or all of my top 5! Shop here—and don’t forget my code!
SAVE: Code LISATRUE20 will save you $20 off your order of $40+!
What do you love from True Botanicals?
Photos by Monkey + Squirrel