So let’s talk about the Clove + Hallow Lip Velvets. They’ve totally taken over my makeup look in the later part of 2018 and with good reason. They last all day, the color payoff is stunning, they are made with 100% cruelty-free ingredients, the colors are bold and fun and they are only $18!!! These Lip Velvets come in 7 shades….for now. Keep an eye out because in 2019 they are planning on DOUBLING the amount of shades they are currently offering. These are all 7 applied. What’s your fave?
Shop the full line at Clove + Hallow and use code ORGANICGIRL15 to save 15%!!!
Which one is your fave?! I know, hard to pick right? My first love was Road Trip but now I’m kind of crushing on Fiesta – especially for the holidays. Okay so besides Clove + Hallow Lip Velvets being called out by Oprah saying, “If there were ever a moment to put your money where your mouth is…” Yeah even Oprah agrees. OPRAH! So let’s break it down.
They are only $18
After recovering from serious illness, Clove + Hallow founder Sarah Biggers was on a mission to create affordably-priced, clean, cruelty-free and vegan cosmetics that perform like conventional classics – and she did! Right now their line consists of a few staples. These are all beautiful but I wanted to detail them out because CHECK OUT THE PRICE! None of her makeup exceeds $22 which is unreal for how it performs X ingredients.
- Pressed Mineral Foundation – $22
- Bronzing Powder $15
- Hydraglow (highlighter) $20
- Lip Velvets (lip stain) – $18
- Lip Glaze (lip gloss) – $15
- Makeup Melt (remover) $28
- Conceal + Correct (concealer) – $18
- Hydratint (blush serum) $20
- Lip Creme (lip stick) – $20
Lasts all day!
Budge proof, smudge proof and yes KISS PROOF – these Lip Velvets have a matte finish and are the closest thing you will find to a clean lip stain that actually stays ALL. DAY. LONG. To boot, these go on in one swipe! Crazy color transfer and coverage with no patchiness or blotching. But get this, they finish dry but they don’t dry out your lips. No caking, cracking or flaking either. At the end of the day you may need to freshen it up with a touch of lip balm (personal preference) but all around – they are kind of a miracle.
Shades are on and poppin’
Lip Velvets come in 7 shades and range from a smokin’ hot red like Fiesta to a deep navy like Jet Setter. You can see all the shades here. To talk about how, this involves a deeper look at C+H’s ingredients. Here is the full ingredient list for the Lip Velvets.
- Coconut Alkanes – Rates a 1 on EWG.
- Isododecane – Rates a 1 on EWG. Solvent/Emollient. Creates a budge-proof/matte finish. (synthetic)
- Hectorite Clay – Rates a 2 on EWG. A mineral found in bentonite clay.
- Polypropylsisesquioxane (silicone to coat pigments) – Rates a 1 on EWG. Binder/Film Former. (synthetic)
- Trimethylsiloxysilicate (silicone to coat pigments) – Rates a 1 on EWG. Emollient/Skin Conditioning. (synthetic)
- Fractionated Coconut Oil – Coconut oil rates a 1 on EWG. Skin conditioning/Emollient/Solvent.
- Shea Butter – Rates a 1 on EWG. Vegetable fat obtained from the fruit of a tree native to Africa. Skin conditioning/viscosity controlling.
- Sunflower Seed Wax – Rates a 1 on EWG. Obtained from the seed of a sunflower.
- Argan Oil – Rates a 1 on EWG.
- Vitamin E – Rates a 1 on EWG. Antioxidant/Skin Conditioning.
- Iron Oxides and/or – Rates a 2 on EWG. Inorganic chemicals used as colorants.
- FD&C Pigments – Rates vary on EWG. (synthetic)
What’s up with the synthetics?
Clove + Hallow is where safety meets swagger says founder Sarah Biggers. And I gotta say, I totally agree. Where else can you get a green beauty navy lip stain?!
Sarah continues, “Our focus is on creating clean cosmetics that do not compromise on safety or quality. We start off with all-natural formulas and supplement with safe synthetics, only if needed, in order to achieve optimal pigmentation, preservation, or performance.” She adds, “The word ‘synthetic’ does not inherently speak to the quality or safety of an ingredient; conversely, a claim like ‘100% natural’ doesn’t either. In general, if there is a natural alternative to a synthetic ingredient that works just as well, I will use the natural version. In order for me to green-light a safe synthetic, it must satisfy one of the following areas in a way the natural version cannot: pigment, preservative + performance.”
Lastly she adds, “If an ingredient is a proven carcinogen, hormone/endocrine disruptor, irritant, etc., I will not allow it in our formulas.”
You can read more about what founder and CEO Sarah Biggers has to say about using safe synthetics here.
So when you are wondering how the heck did Clove + Hallow make a green beauty hot pink like Road Trip….a shade so elusive in green beauty you’d think you were seeing things….know this:
We always start with a base of iron oxides and titanium dioxide and supplement with dyes in tiny concentrations to create the vibrant shades that are so unique to CLOVE + HALLOW and simply not possible with natural dyes alone. – Clove & Hallow CEO + Founder Sarah Biggers
Where Safety Meets Swagger
These Lip Velvets are the answer for girls who want bold, unconventional color that you can only achieve with synthetic dyes but don’t want any of the junk like parabens, phthalates, synthetic fragrance or flavor, and more than 1,500 other ingredients that do more harm than good – all of which typically accompany conventional brands. You get the best of both worlds here with Clove + Hallow’s Lip Velvets.
I had a reader message me last week and tell me she picked up one in every color. I’m like, GIRL, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING – haha!