If homemade skincare and DIY beauty are your thing, you’ve come to the right place! This DIY moisturizing face mask provides essential fatty acids (flax and cacao), a vitamin and mineral boost (banana and honey), an anti-inflammatory hit (turmeric) and a hydrating/firming effect (cacao and honey). My skin feels soft and plump for hours after this mask!
Even better? This recipe was created by a legit skincare formulation prodigy… Osmia Organics’ Founder Dr. Sarah Villafranco.
That’s right, we’ve upped our homemade skincare game by enlisting some of our favorite founder/formulators who will be featured here on TOG with exclusive DIY skincare recipes—just for you! Want a DIY face oil crated by Laurel Skin founder Laurel Schaffer?! A moisturizing face mask by Osmia founder Dr. Sarah Villafranco? Yeah, we’ve got that!
This mask was so easy to make. I had everything on hand to make it at home without having to go to the store. And I absolutely love that it’s formulated with honey. I prefer to use Manuka honey because of its added skin benefits but you can use whatever honey you have on hand.
RELATED: Pair this mask with our DIY Exfoliating Scrub from LILFOX founder.
RELATED: DIY Antioxidant Mask
A few application tips
This mask is thicker in consistency. When you first stir it together, you may think that it will never incorporate but it will—just keep mixing (mixing, mixing). You could also add a little more honey to thin it out a bit, but I found I didn’t need to.
Also, be sure to let it rest for 10 minutes before applying. This allows the flax to set up and for the mask to bind.
Lastly, because this is a thicker mask, I like to mist my face first (or apply to wet/damp skin). This not only locks moisture in for the treatment, but it also helps the mask spread easier when applying.
This homemade skincare mask is a great fit for most skin types—kids included!
Looking forward to hearing how you like this mask after trying it! It’s MESSY, so plan accordingly.
How to make a DIY moisturizing face mask
RELATED: My other favorite DIY skincare mask for acne, eczema and dry skin.
DIY Moisturizing Face Mask by Dr. Sarah Villafranco
- 3 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons raw cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 bite-size piece banana
- In a small bowl, combine the following ingredients well. Use a fork to make a paste, and allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, apply the DIY beauty mixture to clean skin, and allow it to sit for 20 minutes. Dr. Sarah Villafranco adds, “Hopefully [you can wear this mask] while you meditate or listen to an inspiring podcast. If you have any mask leftover, you’ve got yourself a tasty little snack!”
- When you’re ready to rinse, you can either rinse with warm water over the sink or hop in the shower for a less messy process. Pat your skin dry and follow with your usual serum or moisturizer.
“Have fun painting yourself with chocolate!” —Dr. Sarah Villafranco