Swap this for that box of Honey Nut! This cereals is so delicious and is great with milk, topped with fresh berries, over yogurt or even plain and the kids love it. The great thing here is you can swap out walnuts for pecans or add in dried fruit like gogi berries. blueberries or cranberries, go crazy and add some cocoa power and make a chocolate granola or add matcha and make a green tea granola, or sub all the nuts for seeds and you have a nut-free granola for school lunches. The possibilities are endless and you can customize a version that will fit your families tastes/needs. Here is the skeleton recipe:
- 3 cups of oats
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1 cup of slivered or sliced almonds (I love getting mine organic from Nuts.com)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (consider adding nutmeg, allspice, ginger)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- In a sauce pan, incorporate the maple syrup and coconut oil over low heat.
- Once incorporated take off heat and add vanilla, stir.
- Add all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread granola evenly.
- Bake at 250F for 60-80 mins stirring every 20 mins.
- Store in glass.