Hey now! Is there anything better than chic AND organic!? Didn’t think so. Well, I’m back with a brand new Kinda Obsessed and I’m talking just that. Rounding up some goodies I’m kinda obsessed with as we head into summer. Check it out:
After I posted about a couple of my fave fragrances that are a cut above the rest – I had several brands reach out and send me their fragrances to try. I’ve probably tried about 10 in the past month. Most of them were okay but I was SOOOOO excited to discover Petite Histoire. A luxury line of fragrances formulated with natural ingredients.
Petite Histoire has four scents. The first formula was developed by the founder Jeff Smith and the next three scents were developed by his perfumer, Mathieu Nardin who has created scents for Miller Harris, Etro, Anick Goutal and Kenneth Cole. In addition, Robertet, is their partner for natural ingredients with a long legacy in the perfume industry that dates back to the 1800s.
Petite Histoire is the backstory between lovers: it is the narrative that entwines them and the palpable tension that defines them. Here’s a breakdown of their four scents:
Out of the four, Coup De Courage is my fave. It’s dominant in sandalwood – which smells incredible but it’s an ingredient that has a lot of sustainability issues around sourcing so I asked Jeff about it and this is what he said:
Robertet has a “seed to scent” program where they work with communities all around the world to not only protect raw materials (like sandalwood) but give back to the communities that grow them. In New Caledonia, they’ve gone in and helped reinforce the community with the founding of a sandalwood farm in collaboration with the local Kanak community – which further helps stabilize the community. As a part of this they’ve begun an extensive reforestation program, installed solar-powered extraction units, and distillation/extraction practices that utilize 100% recycled solvents. This farm is Forest Stewardship Council certified, meaning the products are in line with internationally recognized sustainable forest management guidelines.
Amazing right!? And remember a few posts back when I said that most natural perfumes smell a little too much like lemon or lavender or…dirt? Jeff tends to agree saying, A lot of natural perfumes lack the pedigree and industry finesse which means most people don’t truly get to experience just how sublime naturals can be. Working with Mathieu and Robertet means these are first and foremost luxury perfumes. And I can attest, these fragrances definitely stand out.
He continues, typically, a mass-market scent might spend about $20/kilo for their oil, whereas Pitete Histoire is working with about $2,000/kilo.
AND! He explains, a lot of the green perfumes are incredibly vague about how they’re actually formulated and greenwashing is a bit of an industry problem at the moment. Petite Histoire is set in a base of hydrating fractionated coconut oil and formulated to IFRA standards of ISO norm 9235 which is one of the strictest and most clearly defined set of guidelines in the industry.
I happened to fall in love immediately with Coup De Courage but like I mentioned, I’m a sucker for anything cedarwood and/or sandalwood. But this fragrance is so much more than that. You know when you have a nice glass of wine and you are like; OH! This is so smooth!? Well apply that sensation to Coup De Courage- it’s just so smooth. Musky with a sweet finish like it was just born to be. Jeff describes it as their “jeans and t-shirt” scent and a bit like being wrapped in cashmere. I agree!
And on the other end of the spectrum, I really love Envie Desoir. It’s so soft, powdery and smells like roses. Super feminine, barely there but oh so there – just beautifully understated and really pretty.
The perfect fragrance for summer!
Okay this rose gold safety razor was love at first sight. I mean, how can you deny it!? First of all, rose gold. Second of all…rose gold and third of all? Okay, I think you get it. But this razor isn’t just a pretty face. It’s engineered and produced in Germany by a manufacturer that specializes in building razors and has for over 100 years. And you can tell. It sits heavy and comfortable in your hand. And the weight of the razor coupled with gravity is designed to deliver the perfect shave with no additional added weight.
I was really nervous to use this razor at first. Like, who shaves with a straight razor blade?! BUT, despite my trepidation, I am proud to report after my first shave, I made it through unscathed and with smooth legs. However, the second time I used it, I got too confident and I totally tore up the apex of my left shin bone. So lesson learned: go slow. Also:
1. Stick to a shave lotion over a soap. I tried it with both and you don’t want to use anything that makes your hands slippery. The suds make it hard to hold the razor – like it might slip out of your hand. Oui the People includes a shave creme that comes with the razor that’s non-sudsing and works well.
2. Pull loose skin taught. Most of your leg you can just glide right over but around your armpits, knees, ankles and shin bones, you will have to pull skin to keep it taught to avoid nicks. Around shin bones you may have to shift your skin over to the left or right to avoid lining up on top of the bone.
3. Store it outside of the shower to keep the blade as fresh as possible. Although you can change the blade as frequently as you like – a 10 pack of double edge blades is $11.
4. Consider shaving outside the shower (after you shower) to practice getting used to a safety razor. Skin and hair will still be warm, soft and prepped for shaving but you will have better control over the razor without the slip of the water in your hands.
5. Hide it from your husband.
Overall this razor is really easy to use and I get a nice shave. The design of a “safety” razor is engineered to be used at a specific angle so if you are not at that angle, the blade isn’t even exposed to your skin. It’s intuitively designed and user friendly. Plus, I mean, how can you say no to this gorgeous shower adornment. It’s like shaving with a piece of jewelry!!! Summer legs are in the house ya’ll!
I use this mask several times a week and love it for so many reasons. Let me count the ways.
- It’s quick. Leave this bad boy on for 2-5 minutes and step out with fresh face and a glow that would even have Giselle breaking her neck.
- It’s clear. So there’s that. It goes on like a thin gel and you can walk around like NBD.
- It’s moisturizes AND exfoliates and is basically a facial in a jar.
- It doesn’t strip skin. And actually it preps skin it to receive all the goodness your toners, face oils and moisturizers have to offer.
- It minimizes pores.
- It’s MADE SAFE Certified
If you can only choose one mask. This is it. Instant results. And if you CAN choose more than one mask, add this to your arsenal and plan to use it a couple of mornings a week. Hello GLOW!
Code LISATRUE20 will save you $20 off your first True Botanicals order – SHOP HERE!
Axiology Lipstick in Bonafide
This is a brand new color for Axiology and it’s GEORG! Would’t you agree? So many things I love about Axiology too.
- Their ingredients reign supreme. This is one of the most organic lipstick formulas on the market.
- The gold click tube is SUPER CHIC! I just love busting it out and clicking away like What, you don’t have an organic chic gold tube lipstick too?
- Their paper packaging that the gold tube comes in is made with recycled paper/trash that’s collected all over the island of Bali. Legit.
- Axiology is vegan and cruelty free.
- You can buy it as Sephora.
Axiology sells two formulas. Their lipsticks which are creamy and moisturizing. And their lip crayons which are still creamy but go on a little more matte. This new color Bonafide is where it’s at!!! Perfect for summer, right!?
Use code “organicgirl” for 20% through 6/1/18 off at Axiology!
Three words: All. Summer. Long. This glowing body balm will moisturize your limbs, shoulders and bust while also giving you a micro-shimmer! Natural mica adorns the body giving it a subtle yet alluring glow. Icing on the cake after the perfect shave.
Plus the ingredients are STELLAR. Check them out:
This is a solid balm that melts into skin delivering moisture without being greasy. And just when you think it can’t get any better, let me tell you about the smell! It’s really a barely-there scent but that’s what draws you in. Cedarwood, vanilla, grapefruit, clove….spicy, sensual and just plain sexy! I discovered this balm in one of my Boxwalla’s and I never looked back! So good!
Code ORGANIC15 will save you 15% site-wide through 6/1/18 at H Is For Love!
(Plus free shipping over $100!) SHOP HERE!
What are you loving for the summer!?
Products shot on top of a photo by Annie Leibovitz