There are a million lash and brow growth serums on the market, so many that it can be hard to figure out which one will actually WORK. So when one of our favorite brands told us that their next product launch was a lash and brow serum, we were ON BOARD. In fact, we launching this Maya Chia POWER FOL lash and brow serum FIRST.
By: Lisa Fennessy
IN THIS POST:
- Introducing POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum
- My Maya Chia POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum review
- The results of using Maya Chia’s POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum (before and after photos)
- POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum Pros + Cons
For my 12th birthday, my Auntie gifted me with the experience of “finishing school.” That’s where I met Lady Mary Crawly for the first time. She was the best at holding spoons but she pretty much iced us all out because she was hyper-focused on getting in the king’s favor (and also, she wouldn’t stop talking about Matthew and we were all like, *eyeroll*, Mary, we know you have the hottest husband in Bampton, you don’t need to keep rubbing it in).
I’m kidding with the Downton Abbey reference, but not about FINISHING SCHOOL. You know, where women go to “learn how to behave in society”….where women get “groomed”…prepared for marriage…learn how to properly eat a cucumber sandwich and practice pinky posture…..And I thought I pretty much struck gold.
Mostly because the closest finishing school to where I lived at the time was called La Femmina Modeling Training Center and Finishing School—and I was starstruck at the thought of becoming America’s Next Top Model.
The school was shaped like a starfish to accommodate multiple runways. And the inside lived up to the hype with wall-to-wall emerald green carpet, makeup mirrors with big circle bulbs, an occasional sandwich board and a musty smell that never quit. But I didn’t see any of that. All I saw was me (at the top) getting hired for a live modeling gig (AKA pretend you are a mannequin for 6 hours) at the Silver City Galleria.
All of this to say, I was in. I was SO IN. They said strut and I was like HOW HIGH?!
So, (in 1988) when eyebrow day came, I followed their instructions to a T…and over plucked the ish out of my eyebrows. And I pretty much kept that same shape for the next 20 years which is fine except come to find out, when you pluck hair out of the same spot for years upon years, eventually, it gets the hint and just doesn’t grow back. 😭
For the past few years, my brow strategy has been mostly, leave my brows alone. I do pluck a rogue here or there but I’m just trying to encourage them to do their thing…and it’s taking a LONG TIME. I have some stubborn holes and sparse areas that I would love to hurry up already and fill in. I mean if I’m being completely honest I would love my brows to go straight up Natalia Castellar on my ass.
Introducing POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum
So when Susanne Norwitz, founder of Maya Chia, asked me if I wanted to pretest her latest launch, POWER FOL Advanced Multi-Correctional Eyelash / Eyebrow Serum, I said yes before she could even finish her ask. Mostly because Susanne Norwitz is a skincare formulating prodigy…but also because of my current brow sitch.
This launch is riding the coattails of Maya Chia’s POWER FOL, Advanced Multi-Correctional Lightweight Scalp and Hair Treatment, a hair growth treatment which also happens to be the brand’s first departure from skincare.
The POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum is a lightweight serum that’s charged with lengthening, thickening, strengthening and conditioning lashes and brows. It’s also designed to fortify, nourish and act as an immediate volumizer and primer.
My Maya Chia POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum review
To know Susanne Norwitz is to know she loves a good iteration. In fact, word on the street is she’s been known to go through hundreds of iterations on the same product before calling it done. And I actually ended up getting a couple iterations of this formula before it was finalized too. Talk about dedication to perfecting a formula. Here’s what I love.
The lightweight gel serum texture
First and foremost, this is a lightweight GEL serum. Who cares? I do. I personally find an oil-based brow/lash treatment to be so limiting. It’s really tough to layer makeup over which means I can only use it at night. But that cuts treatment time by half and slows everything down, which cuts motivation and consistency and then it’s like, why did I even bother?
This gel serum actually dries down (all the way) so you can wear it both day and night, apply multiple times a day if desired and easily layer makeup over it. The ability to wear this treatment practically 24/7 is a game changer.
The multi-functional packaging
This treatment comes in a double sided, rose gold twist tube. Untwist one side and it reveals an application brush for your lash line while the other side dons a micro-bristle wand for your brows. #brill
It acts like an instant volumizer and primer
Thanks to the addition of chia seed mucilage, a fermented flexible film, the POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum acts as an instant volumizer and primer. It’s not major texture, but it’s enough to add a bit of a grippy quality, which boosts volume on both brows and lashes. It also beefs them up a bit (priming) before applying optional mascara and brow products.
Or, if you’re wanting to skip the brow products all together, this produces a lightweight hold that keeps brows in place without feeling sticky or oily. It adds a healthy, hydrated, darkened and defined look, no color brow product necessary in some cases.
So what actually makes this formula tick?
- Peptides. Susanne explains, “Peptides can be used in lash & brow formulas to enhance length, density and strength. This formula uses not one but FOUR peptides in their quadruple peptide complex made up of biotinoyl tripeptide-1, acetyl tetrapeptide-3, myristoyl pentapeptide-17 and pea peptide proteins.” (1,2,6,7)
- Pro-vitamin B5/panthenol. Susanne continues, “This is a critical hair nutrient. When applied, it reduces hair fallout, increases density by strengthening hair strands and helps retain moisture.” (8)
- Ginseng. Ginseng can help decrease hair loss while helping promote hair growth. (3,5)
- Baikal Skulcap Flower, which can stimulate hair growth by reactivating unproductive hair follicles. (9,10)
- Red Cover is a trtrapeptide which inhibits hair loss as well as increases hair growth. (4,11)
- Chia Seed Mucilage. You knew we were going to see chia seed incorporated somewhere here 😜. Chia Seed Mucilage is used to create a flexible film which helps lashes and brows appear defined and hydrated.
- Rice Protein which is abundant in amino acids and helps create stronger, more flexible brows and lashes. It’s also used to increase volume.
Here is the full ingredient list…
Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf (Aloe) Juice*, Pure Water/Aqua, Glycerin, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Peptide, Butylene Glycol**, Propanediol, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate (and) Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis (Baikal Skullcap) Root Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Tilia Tomentosa Bud Extract, Acetyl Tetrapeptide-3, Arginine, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Panax Ginseng Root Extract*, Cellulose, Salvia Hispanica (Chia Seed) Extract, Myristoyl Pentapeptide-17, Panthenol, Biotinoyl Tripeptide-1, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Sprouts) Germ Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum & Xanthan Gum, Communis (Castor) Seed Oil (and) Hydrogenated Castor Oil (and) Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Glycine Soya (Soybean) Germ Extract, Sodium Phytate, Calcium Gluconate, Dextran, Potassium Sorbate
*Certified Organic or Wild Crafted **Derived from Plant Source (Sugar Cane)
RELATED: My Maya Chia favorites.
The results of using Maya Chia’s POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum (before and after photos)
I used this treatment both day and night for about 20 days. That is not nearly enough time to come to a full conclusion BUT I did see results, even within this short time frame, so I’m excited to share them with you here.
I’m also excited to update this post with a 90 day before and after but even after just 20 days I can see a difference. Can you?
I see regrowth that’s starting on the inside of my brow (closer to my nose). That used to be nonexistent, thanks to my finishing school overplucking days. With just 20 days of using Maya Chia’s POWER FOL, I’m getting regrowth I would not have gotten on my own.
I also see darker, thicker, more defined brow hairs thanks to the conditioning agents in this formula.
And I think my hair is growing faster. I have several wicked long rogues that I want to trim so badly but I’m leaving them for the sake of this experiment.
Also note how the hole in my brow right where the arch starts is filling in. Again, AFTER JUST 20 DAYS.
And for reference, here’s what Susanne said about the timeline of when you should see results: “Some people see growth within a month, one participant 2 weeks. Less shedding is definitely what people notice at first. Our consumer perception study was 8 weeks, but the majority started to show real growth at the 6-week marker.”
Amazing right? What’s even more amazing are these before and afters from that study…HELLO!
POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum Pros + Cons
- A gel-based serum that…
- Dries down all the way
- You can layer makeup over
- You can apply both day and night for faster results
- A dedicated lash brush and a dedicated brow brush—we haven’t seen this in other formulas, and we love it
- Very mild, barely there smell
- Adds instant volume
- Doubles as a brow and lash primer
- Uses clean, science-forward ingredients
- Effective—I saw results and new growth within 20 days!
- Has a shelf life of about 18 months, according to Susanne—that’s so much better than the 12-month shelf life of many mascaras
- Price: This is a little more of an investment than other brow products we’ve reviewed, BUT we’ve seen more results, so it’s a little bit of six of one, half dozen of the other if you need brow or lash growth support.
Final thoughts on POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum
Overall, I’m going to say this is a full-speed-ahead purchase for me. If you’re struggling with thin or holey lashes or brows, or are in the hi-my-name-is-Lisa-and-I-suffer-from-90s-overplucking boat, this is the most effective lash/brow growth serum I’ve used.
My suggestion to you is to take before and after pics of yourself so you can see the change too. I wasn’t sure it was working until I took a new photo and put it side-by-side my original before photo—and then I was BLOWN AWAY.
What lash/brow serum do you love? Will you try Maya Chia’s?
TOG Team Note: This article contains affiliate links. TOG uses affiliate links as a source for revenue to fund operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. TOG stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.
- Oshimura E, Sakamoto K. Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins. Cosmetic Science and Technology, Elsevier, Netherlands. 2017; Apr 6: 285-303.
- Ledwon P, Errante F, Papini AM, Rovero P, Latajka R. Peptides as Active Ingredients: A Challenge for the Cosmeceutical Industry. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 2021; Feb:18(2).
- Lueangarun S, Panchaprateep R. An Herbal Extract Combination (Biochanin A, Acetyl tetrapeptide-3, and Ginseng Extracts) versus 3% Minoxidil Solution for the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia: A 24-week, Prospective, Randomized, Triple-blond, Controlled Trial. Journal of Clinical & Aesthetic Dermatology, 2020; 1:30(10).
- Loing E, Lachance R, Ollier V, Hocquaux M. A new strategy to modulate alopecia using a combination of two specific and unique ingredients. Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2012; 64(1):45-58.
- Choi BY. Hair-growth potential of ginseng and its major metabolites: a review on its molecular mechanisms. International Journal Of Molecular Sciences. 2018; 19(9):2703.
- Grothe T, Wandrey F, Schuerch C. Clinical evaluation of pea sprout extract in the treatment of hair loss. Phytotherapy Research. 2020; 34(2):428-31.
- Schmid D, Belser E, Züilli F. The FGF7 and noggin genes are key targets to treat hair loss.SOFW-Journal. 2013; 139(9):18-33.
- Goluch-Koniuszy ZS. Nutrition of women with hair loss problems during the period of menopause. Przegląd Menopauzalny (Menopause review). 2016; 15(1):56.
- Xing F, Yi WJ, Miao F, Su MY, Lei TC. Baicalin increases hair follicle development by increasing canonical Wnt/ β-catenin signaling and activating dermal papillar cells (sic). International Journal of Molecular Medicine. 2018; 41(4):2079-2085.
- Shin SH, Bak SS, Kim MK, Sung YK, Kim JC. Baicalin, a flavonoid, affects the activity of human dermal papilla cells and promotes anagen induction. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Archives of Pharmacology. 2015; 388(5):583-6.
- Daniels G, Akram S, Westgate GE, Tamburic S. Can plant-derived phytochemicals provide symptom relief for hair loss? A critical review. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 2019; 41(4):332-45.
Maya Chia's POWER FOL Lash | Brow Multi-Correctional Growth Serum
- A gel-based serum that dries down all the way
- A dedicated lash brush and a dedicated brow brush
- Very mild smell
- Adds instant volume
- Doubles as a brow and lash primer
- Uses clean, science-forward ingredients
- Long shelf life