Hi friends, Steph here…It’s that time of year again where we need to support our bodies the best way we know how! Today, I will share my recommendations to help prevent cold and flu season viruses and infections from setting in. And if you or your loved ones get sick, I’m also including some ideas to nurture your body through it and recover swiftly. Lastly, a few ways to be proactive and keep your house/environment healthy. As the mama of an auto-immune babe (when sickness hits, it tends to hit hard/long), I make sure my tool belt is ready and that we’re well equipped for these winter months ahead. This roundup is jam packed with options! Let’s jump right in…
These tips are most beneficial to incorporate into you daily regimen/routine for optimal health and preventing sickness.
1. Chiropractic care/adjustments – Always my first line of defense for prevention and also healing when sick. Proper alignment is crucial in our bodies ability to eliminate & repair. Although not comprehensive, the ICPA and The National Wellness Foundation both have databases where you can search for a practitioner via zip code.
2. Far Infrared Sauna Sessions – Sweating is good for you. It’s the body’s safe and natural way of healing and staying healthy. Detoxification happens by heating the body’s core temperature, purging toxins, and strengthening the immune system. By stimulating the circulatory system, it oxygenates the body’s cells for better circulation allowing toxins flow at a cellular level out of skins surface. This is the sauna we have and love! There are also infrared sauna studios popping up in major metropolitans like Perspire – maybe there is one near you. Be sure to shower right after so toxins are rinsed off instead of reabsorbed.
3. Epsom Salt Baths – Magnesium stimulates nerve and muscle function, limits inflammation, and improves oxygenation and blood flow through the body. Epsom Salt baths are an excellent way to destress and detoxify the body and in turn build immune function. For adults I suggest dissolving 1.5 cups per bath. I like Ancient Minerals Magnesium Bath Flakes.
4. Dry Brushing – Helps to detoxify and exfoliate by increasing blood flow and stimulating lymph flow/drainage. The best time to brush your skin is right before a shower so you can wash away dead skin and released toxins. Most dry brushes are made for the body like this one but there are even ones designed for your face too like Province Apothecary’s Daily Glow Facial Dry Brush.
5. Rebounding– Supports the lymphatic system’s ability to transport immune cells throughout the body for stronger immune function and boosts lymphatic drainage. Start slow, 3-5 minutes at a time building up to 15 minutes. I like to do this in the morning before I start my day!
6. Fresh Pressed Celery Juice – The mineral salts in fresh pressed celery juice help rid the body of viruses and toxins. I’m a HUGE fan of starting everyday with 16 oz! Discover more benefits here from The Medical Medium.
7. Fire Cider – What’s not to love with a long list of benefits such as: immune support, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, aids in digestion to name a few! A must to keep in the arsenal! Do daily shots or get creative and use this as a base for salad dressings. Buy it or make it!
8. Elderberry Syrup – With a high Vitamin C value, Elderberry syrup helps to fight off cold and flu symptoms while fighting inflammation and infection. It has also been found to shorten the duration of sickness. Kids tend to love it as well! Making and keeping elderberry popsicles on hand is a great idea. Buy it or make it!
9. Diffusing Essential oils in the home to ward off viruses. My favorite for fall/winter is onguard, breathe, thyme, marjoram, white fir, melaleuca, cassia, purify, and lemon. I love, use, and trust this brand.
10. DIY hand sanitizer spray – 1oz. glass spray bottle + 15 drops onguard essential oil + distilled water (fill the bottle after adding essential oils). Shake well and spritz. Onguard essential oil supports healthy immune function and contains cleansing properties. Keep in car, purse, diaper bag, around house, office.
The supplements I suggest here are of the highest quality, pure, and GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certified. Some are professional grade. I feel strongly for the brands suggested as they are potent, fast acting, and offer desired results. My recommendations are based off of my thorough research and brands that we use in our household.
I linked what I could but that being said, some of these you can only order through a professional. Like for example, you can’t buy alcohol-based Standard Process tinctures OTC. For these, I’ll link this zip code finder so you can search for a professional near you.
12. Probiotic OR Probiotic-rich foods – This helps support and balance friendly bacteria in your digestive track strengthening the immune system. A few examples of probiotic rich foods to include into your diet are fermented kimchi, kraut, kombucha, beet kvass. I like to work these into my daily diet. And I like Klaire Labs for a probiotic supplement.
13. My Community Host Defense Medicinal Mushrooms – A blend of 17 potent medicinal mushroom species. I swear this is the most comprehensive immune support out there! Medicinal mushrooms have been found to fight inflammation, aid the immune system, neutralize free radicals, support blood sugar and brain health. I take these daily.
14. Standard Process Medi Herb Albizia – A powerful anti- inflammatory herb that brings down histamine in the body. Not a day goes by that we don’t use albizia. A must in everyone’s arsenal and a complete game changer…like nature’s Benedryl without the side effects. We use albizia as our go-to for just about EVERYTHING from skin rashes, to hives, to environmental stresses, to bug bites, to congestion/mucous relief, to bad tummies, to non-anaphylactic allergic reactions. Use this for daily support or as needed. Zip code finder to order through a professional near you.
16. Standard Process Herbal Throat Spray – A blend marshmallow root, sage, echinacea root, calendula, myrrh, and clove. This throat spray is SO soothing and healing! The combination of these herbs support upper respiratory function, mucosal lining, oral health, throat tissue, and sore throats. I keep this in my purse at all times as my go to when I feel the slightest throat tickle or want to freshen breath. Take for daily support or as needed. Zip code finder.
17. Standard Process Medi Herb Goldenseal – This potent herb is a great go-to for it’s antibiotic-like properties. Goldenseal is often used to relieve common colds and upper respiratory infections. Take when sick. Zip code finder.
18. Standard Process Medi Herb Echinacea– At the earliest signs of sickness, boost immune function with Echinacea. This herb has been shown to increase the number of white blood cells which fight infection. Echinacea can cut the possibility of getting a common cold by half and shorten the duration. That’s huge! Take at onset of sickness or exposure. Zip code finder.
19. Oil of Oregano – Traditional healers have used oil of oregano since ancient times for its anti viral and anti bacterial properties. It’s commonly used to treat respiratory issues, cold, flu, sore throat, and bronchitis. Take this at the onset of sickness. I like Gaia Herbs Oil of Oregano.
20. Liposomal Vitamin C or Camu Camu – Vitamin C plays such an important role in the body functions such as the immune system, collagen, iron absorption, wound healing, and maintaining healthy bones/teeth. Because of it’s strong antioxidant properties, it may reduce the risk of chronic diseases. I recommend taking this daily. I like this Vitamin C and this Camu Camu.
21. ACS Cellular Silver – In my opinion, this is the best colloidal silver on the market! Silver kills pathogens and is often used in place of antibiotics. It’s safe/effective and a broad spectrum antimicrobial. I’ve even used it to successfully treat Pink Eye. Use this for daily support or at the onset of sickness. I like this one!
22. ACS Nasal Spray – The same silver and benefits as listed above with the addition of herbs like borage leaf, chamomile, echinacea, and rose hips. If you are prone to sinus issues or infections, this is for you! Remember when spraying nasal sprays to shoot to the outside of passage vs. straight up. This insures the product ends up in the nasal cavity. Use this for daily support OR at the onset of sickness. I like this one.
23. Xlear Nasal Spray – This nasal spray works as a cleanser and humectant coating your nasal passages with xylitol. Xylitol reduces the ability for invaders to get comfortable in your airways. Research has shown that those who regularly use Xlear are at significantly lower risk of respiratory infections. Xylitol also has the ability to kill strep. So awesome! Again, remember to shoot to the outside of passage vs. straight up. Use this for daily support.
24. Xylitol – Kills and inhibits bacterial growth. My go to for strep throat. I dissolve 1/2 tsp. into 1 ounce of water and drink down every couple hours. This sweet treat is promised to be kids favorite remedy of all! It’s important to use 100% birch xylitol. So many xylitol’s are from China and produced from corn. The best xylitol I’ve used is this one.
These are some things you can do around the home to boost your immune system and give yourself the best chance at staying healthy!
27. Wash hands and change clothes after being in public. Keep your home your safe space by changing out of outside (public) clothes into inside (clean) clothes. I talk about this concept more on The Golden Hour Podcast.
28. Wash pillow cases every 2-3 days and bedding every 7. Wash more frequently if sick.
29. Don’t reuse bath towels/hand towels as they harbor germs and viruses. Make sure they hang to dry so they get plenty of air and wash after every use.
30. No wearing shoes in the house. This is one of the easiest and simplest ways to reduce the amount of germs that enter the house.
31. Wipe everything down like kitchen, bathroom, phones, remotes, door knobs daily with my favorite simple DIY sanitizing spray. Watch my video on how to make it here!
That’s a wrap!
This article compiles a little something for everyone, leaving you with plenty of natural wellness support this cold and flu season. Incorporating daily protocols is key and should you need the sickness protocols, your arsenal is stacked and ready to go!
Don’t forget simple things like lots of hand washing, great hydration (water, herbal tea, coconut water), plenty of rest/sleep, gentle movement, and a healing diet. When sick, ideally omit animal protein, dairy, processed sugars, and grains. Give your digestion a break so it can focus on repairing/healing. Sub a ton of veggie broth, fresh pressed juice, and smoothies.
I am not a medical professional, just a mama who has navigated her way through compromised immune function and autoimmunity. Please seek advice from a medical professional.
In good health.
LIKE IT? PIN IT!