Guys! I ran through my current skincare routine live on Instagram last night and I promised I would list out what I talked about so here it is! So this is the routine I do at the end of the day and treatments I leave on overnight.
This all stemmed from a photoshoot we did with a new photographer (I’m in the market!) this past week. The shoot wrapped and the photographer goes, “You must drink a lot of water because your skin looks fantastic!” I’m like buddy! It’s not so much about the water (although it is) but more so, it’s about the oils! You can’t wash your face with a bar of Dove and call it a day! Wash with oils and moisturize with oils. And it’s okay to use soaps if oils aren’t your thing – you just have to choose the right soaps. So lets talk options.
Removing Makeup with Oils
Cleansing your face is all about the double cleanse. Or your could call it a makeup removal with a single cleanse to follow. Either way, first you want to remove your makeup, I like to use oils. Here are some fantastic options.
- True Botanicals Pre Cleanse Oil – Some cleansing oils are made with benign cooking oils (cheaper to make and produce), this oil blend however, not only takes off make up but nourishes skin too. It’s 100% organic made with jojoba seed oil, sesame seed oil, apricot kernel oil and bergamot fruit oil. It has an amazing slip meaning it wont ever fully rub into into your skin. It sits on top lifting makeup and grime so you can easily wipe if off. Also, it smells fantastic. Not to mention it’s so good for facial massage too. If you want more on the how to + benefits of facial massage, check out this tutorial by Lisa Elderidge and use this oil! You will wake up with less wrinkles and a drained lymph system. $48
2. For something more affordable, I also love MOA’s The Green Balm. This formula is crazy versatile. You can use it to treat cuts, blisters, blemishes, calm dry patches and minor rashes, soothe burns, bruises and scrapes, treat chapped lips and cold sores, treat red raw nostrils, combat athletes foot, help fade scars and stretch marks…and on and on! AND, most importantly, you can also use it to take your makeup off. Its so good at doing it’s job and it is AFFORDABLE! Mines empty. $21
3. The other balm I am bananas over is Leahlani’s Bless Beauty Balm. One word: GONE! You can use this as a moisturizer or as a makeup remover. When I first got it I was like, this is so beautiful – there is NO WAY I am wasting this to use as a makeup remover. Hand crafted, smells amazing, clean ingredients, beautiful color, luxe consistency. Makes a great overnight treatment. In the end I busted through it all as a makeup remover. I just couldn’t keep my mitts off of it! $48
After rubbing an oil or balm all into your skin, eyes, everything – makeup will be fully loosened and ready to wipe off. You can go in now with a warm wet cloth or a dry cloth and wipe the oil off. I prefer a warm wet cloth but some people argue a dry one will keep moisture on your face. Try it both ways and see what you like better!
Followup with a gentle cleanser
Next you want to follow up with a gentle cleanser to finish the job. At this point your face will be free from makeup but you will still want to go in for a second round to pull any lingering bits of oil, makeup, grime, dirt, whatevs. My two top fave gentle cleansers are as follows:
- True Botanicals BASICS Cleanser (or Hydrating Cleanser CLEAR because BASICS is on a waitlist!) – Both of these are similar but different. The BASICS cleanser is a mild, milky cleanser that uses less essential oils than True Botanical’s other cleansers. It wont pull moisture from your skin and it’s safe for pregnancy. $32
Okay, don’t pack it all in yet. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE True Botanicals Hydrating Cleanser from their CLEAR line too. This cleanser is $48 but it’s the best dang cleanser you will ever use. Creamy/clear/milky – this cleanser wont foam up but it will kick any adulterations to the curb and leave skin feeling fresh, clean and most important – hydrated. And it’s not just me, my friend Jess agrees it’s the best cleanser she’s ever tried. $48
2. Josh Rosebrook’s Complete Moisture Cleanse. Gentle, effective, smells good, super organic, the works. Takes off any excess but leaves skin’s oils intact. Skin feels light, clean, hydrated, nourished, all of the above. This is a reformulation from his original – I just love it. Love that he sells a 1/2 size too so you can try before investing. 2 oz will run you $27 and 4 oz, $50
OR followup with a foaming cleanser
Okay, if you are like Lis, I need a soap to clean my face – enough with this oils mumbo jumbo. Okay, okay – I got your back too girl. These two cleansers are more traditional in the sense they foam up and will leave skin with that “clean, taught” feeling. But they are not traditional in the sense they are packed with toxic chemicals, cheap fillers and ingredients that will strip your skin.
Both of these formulas are superfatted meaning they are formulated with an excess of oils so when you rinse your skin, the excess fat (oils) are left behind and skin remains hydrated rather than stripped.
- OSMIA Pumpkin Facial Bar – If you haven’t tried any of OSMIA’s soap bars, you are MISSING OUT! Luxury soaps at their finest. Plus this bar is 98.3% organic – with the only thing not being organic is the non-GMO mixed tocopherols (which no one can get organic anyways). Rub this soap in between your hands and let the foaming commence! Made with pumpkin and tomato to provide a gentle enzyme exfoliation. This mild cleanser will not only get the gunk off but will rejuvenate skin. It’s so effective, you can even use this as a solo cleanser for makeup, daily grime and all. It’s that good. $24
2. EIR Foaming Facial Cleanser – This cleanser pumps out bubbly + brown and foams like the dickens. A couple of rubs between your palms and you will be like WOAH! It’s packed with healthy, fatty oils that naturally foam up. Cleans so well too. I love using this in the shower. $20
Okay so I didn’t talk about these last night but after I wash my face, these are a few options I follow up with. I have a TON to choose from (perks of a green beauty blogger) but this is what I keep picking up! I’m going short form here so I can get this to you quicker!
Mists + Toners
After washing, I go in with a mist or a toner. Depending on the toner you can get one that specializes in keeping skin’s pH balanced, increases collagen production, hydration…etc.
- Leahlani’s Citrus + Citrine – Love it. Use it almost every day. Smells floral and powdery. So refreshing. $46
2. True Botanicals Hydrating Mist – Can’t put it down. Packed with tea-based antioxidants to keep skin youthful. Love the price. $22
Serum + Treatments
Next I apply a serum. I love mixing it up but this combo is my rock. I mix these two together and apply before my moisturizer.
- True Botanicals Vitamin C Booster – This is the only vitamin C I’ve found that comes dry so it’s not activated until you mix it with your face oil or serum and apply. Super potent because you control the dosage. Vitamin C stimulates collagen production, firms and repairs and fights wrinkles. A MUST-HAVE for maturing skin! $90
2. True Botanicals Repair Serum CLEAR – This serum is one of my staples. It improves barrier function meaning it helps to retain moisture plus it helps prevent blemishes. I tend to get hormonal breakouts and this has helped keep breakouts at bay. $140
Lastly I moisturize with a face oil. Again I’ve tried a bunch and in some ways they are all like my children – I love them all for who they are BUT that being said, these three are my current faves.
- Laurel Antioxidant Facial Serum – Got this in one of my Mapleblume boxes and never looked back. I LOVE this formula. Goes on light but active. It’s a beautiful orange color and it smells divine – super light scent. Raw, organic, locally sourced, handcrafted. This formula restores hydration and promotes cell regeneration. Would totally buy this again. $96
2. KHUS + KHUS BLOSSOM FACE SERUM – This is one of my all time fave face oils. A hydrating and anti-aging powerhouse that wont leave skin feeling greasy. It’s hardcore organic and at 50ml it’s bigger than most bottles. Plus it smells amazing! This is my hubs fave on me because it smells so good. $78
3. Okay and for those of you who are like, what the frick! I can’t spend $78 bucks on a face moisturizer. Look no further than RAW IS EVERYTHING. Their Age-Defying Concentrate is off the chain. It’s only rosehip oil but it’s single sourced, raw, cold-press, unrefined, unformulated, unprocessed rosehip and there is nothing else like it on the market. This formula will literally turn back the hands of time. $55
And of course then there is eye cream. My favorite eye treatment to date is Kahina’s Eye Serum. It’s a gel consistency that is light, it’s potent and it soaks right in. You can even wear makeup over it so you can totally wear it during the day too. I finished the whole bottle. $78
Keep skin hydrated and happy!
Okay so like I mentioned this is my ‘end of the day’ routine. My day routine is similar. I do a single wash with a gentle cleanser, mist, (use a non-sun-sensitive serum if the mood strikes me) and then depending on the day I will either do one if the oils I just mentioned or a moisturizer with SPF. I like Josh Rosebrook’s Nutrient Day Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 30 – both tinted and not tinted are equally as good.
Of course it helps to drink a lot of water too but this is how I am currently keeping my skin happy and hydrated from the outside, in!
What are you loving!?