An honest True Botanicals review: The mega better beauty line just reformulated their Calm Pure Radiance Face Oil and it’s better than ever. This oil is a match made in heaven for people with sensitive skin, dry skin and expecting moms. Here’s why!
Thank you to True Botanicals for sponsoring this post!
One of our TOG FAQs is, What do you recommend for skincare during pregnancy and/or breastfeeding?
We also get asked a lot of questions about what we recommend for sensitive skin too.
I suppose I should write a post about that, lol, but in the meantime, check out the newly reformulated True Botanicals Calm Pure Radiance Oil!
IN THIS POST:
- What’s different about the NEW True Botanicals Calm Pure Radiance Face Oil?
- How long does a bottle of Pure Radiance Oil last?
- Does Calm Pure Radiance Oil really work?
- Giveaway: WIN a bottle of your choice of True Botanicals’ Pure Radiance Face Oil!
What’s different about the [NEW!] Calm Pure Radiance Oil?
Unboxing this oil revealed several obvious changes. First of all, the color has gone from a medium yellow to an intense, dark, lucious orange. It’s just gorgeous out of the bottle and also helps to intensify that #glowfactor.
The other thing we noticed is the scent. True Botanicals moves away from their botanical signature scent to a robust bouquet of fresh ginger. We love this raw element and direct tie to nature. It’s fresh and simple and refined.
Lastly, the texture has changed some. The old Calm oil was a little more viscous and plump whereas the reformation is a bit thinner, easier to layer and soaks in faster.
What hasn’t changed is their commitment to creating safe products. Again this oil is, thoughtfully sourced, science-forward, packaged in glass and it’s also MADE SAFE CERTIFIED, as is the entire line.
How long does a bottle of Calm Pure Radiance Oil last?
Another thing that didn’t change here is the size. All Pure Radiance Oils (whether it’s the Renew, Clear or Calm) come in a 1 fl oz glass bottle. This amount of oil will last roughly 3 months—give or take depending on if you are using it daily and/or 2X daily.
Does Calm Pure Radiance Oil really work?
The new Calm Pure Radiance Oil is charged with:
- Calming redness, rosacea and irritated skin.
- Strengthening the skin barrier.
- Smoothing the look of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Leaving skin more hydrated, smoother and more even toned.
- Key Ingredients: Calendula oil, ginger root oil, cucumber seed oil, organic hemp oil, jojoba seed oil and neroli.
And it’s formulated to support sensitive skin, dry skin and expecting moms (yep, it’s skincare to use during pregnancy and breast-feeding!).
We had the team (me and Nicolle👋) test this oil and it worked for the both of us in different ways.
For me, I have “normal” skin and I typically wouldn’t reach for a “calm oil,” but I can say after using it for a couple of weeks, it’s effective at retaining moisture and leaves my skin feeling hydrated, balanced and radiant. There is NOTHING better than moisturizing with an oil to bring skin to life and the new Calm oil supports skin in looking its best.
Now on the other hand, Nicolle DOES have sensitive skin and is a perfect candidate for testing this new formula. Here’s what her experience looked like:
As Lisa said, my skin is sensitive and reactive. Like wake-up-with-itchy-flaky-tight-and-red skin when it doesn’t like a product or if I overuse a product or if a product contains TOO MANY actives.
That said, the Calm Pure Radiance Face Oil is a juggernaut. The ginger scent is something I sort of wish came in a perfume, I love it so much. But, the ginger also means the formula promotes heat, which made it a bit too much for my skin EVERY day.
I use it every other night and find that this really helps bring out the impact of the ingredients without creating too much activity (read: small blemishes). With this frequency, I get the glow factor and the boost of hydration I need.
Also, the texture is insane—its deep, amber color coerces you into believing it’ll be sticky and hard to apply, but it soaks in so beautifully (be sure to apply to damp skin!).
And now maybe you are asking yourself…
What makes the new Calm Pure Radiance Oil work?
A couple things to note about the Calm Pure Radiance Oil’s efficacy. First, this oil is formulated with “only small-molecule ingredients.”
TB Founder Hillary Peterson explains, “Because sensitive skin is more reactive, it was essential that we only formulated with ingredients that are easy for the skin to recognize and use—such as the small-molecule seed oils in this formula that are extremely similar in molecular structure to the lipids (oils) naturally produced by the skin. These include small-molecule seed oils like organic jojoba seed oil and cold pressed cucumber seed oil that more easily absorb into the skin, delivering even greater hydrating and anti-aging benefits.”
This helps make it a great formula for skin during pregnancy too.
Second…and this is huge. Oftentimes, “sensitive skin” or pregnancy-safe formulas are bare-bones, void of essential oils and/or active ingredients. (And I’m not throwing shade; this can be effective too). But with this formula, True Botanicals has forgone benign (and “void of”) ingredients and swapped them for TWENTY-SEVEN different plant actives that get to the root of skin sensitivities. Check it out [from True Botanicals]:
- Calendula Oil* – Rich in linoleic acid to soothe and moisturize, while also providing anti-inflammatory benefits to help relieve inflamed and irritated skin.
- Cucumber Seed Oil* – Delivers phytosterols and linoleic acid for quick absorption and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Fresh Ginger Essential Oil* – Calms inflamed and irritated skin while minimizing signs of skin damage and aging to restore radiance to a dull complexion.
- Hemp Seed Oil* – Antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory, skin soothing and helps with appearance of skin smoothing properties.
- Buriti Oil* – Rich in Vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that protects skin from environmental stressors and high in Beta-Carotene, another powerful antioxidant known to protect skin.
- Blueberry Seed Oil – This powerhouse is rich in antioxidant phytonutrients and provides potent anti-aging benefits that calm and repair damaged, inflamed skin. Deposits natural sources of Vitamin E and Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil – High levels of natural fatty acid emollient for intense lipophilic moisturization.
- Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil* – Rich in beauty-boosting vitamins A, E, and D, plus antioxidants and fatty acids, jojoba oil has remarkably similar properties to our skin’s own sebum.
- Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil* – Antioxidant rich, anti-inflammatory, skin soothing and helps with appearance of skin smoothing properties.
- Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil* – Pumpkin seed oil is full of acne-clearing linoleic acid and other essential fatty acids.
- Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil* – Shows excellent skin protective effects, softening and anti-drying properties.
- Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil* – A source of essential fatty acids, vitamin E, antioxidants and linoleic acid.
- Borago Officinalis Seed Oil* – One of the richest sources of gamma linoleic acid, which contributes to good cellular health.
- Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil* – Helps skin remain vibrant and soft. Rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, D, E and beta carotene.
- Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil* – Rich in essential fatty acids and has excellent emollient properties.
- Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil – Extremely moisturizing. Contains a high percentage of unsaturated C22 fatty acids, is very stable and is highly resistant to oxidation.
- Salvia Hispanica (Chia) Seed Oil* – Rich natural source of omega-3 fatty acids to help strengthen cell membranes’ barriers. Good barrier protection is said to allow water and nutrients into the cell while toxins are kept out.
- Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil* – A carrier oil that’s rich in vitamins E and B, and in minerals such as calcium, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract* – Effective at soothing dehydrated skin and sensitive skin.
- Rubus Idaeus (Red Raspberry) Seed Oil* – Reduces the effects of oxidative stress in the body and helps to promote healthy cell growth and renewal. Effective in skin repair and conditioning. Also provides effective anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Oil* – A prized oil in skincare due to its unique balance of omega-3 fatty acids and naturally occurring vitamin E.
- Squalane – Olive-derived squalane, a rapidly absorbing emollient, helps to both soften and tighten skin as well as regulate oil production.
- Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Seed Oil* – A lightweight, fast-absorbing oil that deeply nourishes with linoleic acid and helps support elasticity in the skin.
- Haematococcus Pluvialis Extract* (Astaxanthin) – Improves skin elasticity and texture, stimulates collagen production, strengthens cell membranes, reduces wrinkles, and diminishes dark circles and hyperpigmentation. It also outperforms both vitamins E and C as an antioxidant and even boosts their effectiveness when combined.
- Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil* – Offers regenerative, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-aging properties from a massive amount of Vitamin C.
- Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Neroli) Oil – Imparts a sense of relaxation and also delivers anti-inflammatory properties that can calm skin.
- Cedrus Atlantica Bark (Cedarwood) Oil* – Anti-inflammatory and aids in soothing sensitive skin.
I mean, did you read all of that?! It’s a garden salad of skin-boosting ingredients! (“*” denotes organic).
Ethical ingredient sourcing
We also love that True Botanicals prioritizes both certified organic and wild harvested ingredients with respect to sustainability.
For example, in this formula you can use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, True Botanicals sources their ginger oil from the high plains of Madagascar where their supplier ensures that for every 8 tons of ginger harvested, 2 tons is reserved for the following year. This way farmers are pre-financed for the following years’ production giving them capital and stability.
In addition, all of True Botanicals products are cruelty-free, Leaping Bunny certified, free of GMOs and MADE SAFE CERTIFIED. MADE SAFE is a comprehensive safety standard, which certifies products are made without (6,500+) toxic chemicals known to harm human and environmental health.
But don’t take our word for it—try it for yourself! The new Calm Pure Radiance Oil drops TODAY and we are hooking you up with a GIVEAWAY because this is how we do! One lucky winner is taking home their choice of one of their three best-selling face oils, worth $120! Enter BELOW.
Winner will be emailed. Giveaway runs through April 7. Open to U.S. residents only. Must be 18 or older.
Affiliate Disclosure Policy
This article contains affiliate links. TOG uses affiliate links as a source of revenue to fund operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. TOG stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.