One thing I talk about here a lot on This Organic Girl is choosing to vote with your dollar. If you keep buying Tide, you are creating a demand for Tide. Don’t do that. LOL.
Instead, I talk about creating a demand for clean beauty, for sustainable goods, for non-health-compromising products by choosing to buy sustainable, organic, responsible and clean when you can.
The same goes for creating a demand for black-owned businesses. As The Green Business Network suggests, creating a demand for Black-owned businesses can do several things including; closing the racial wealth gap, strengthen local economies, foster job creation and create visibility and representation in the green economy.
As it stands in 2020, we need more Black-owned representation in the clean beauty space.
This week, I’ve seen lists go up on the internet for Black-owned bookstores, Black-owned business to support, Black-owned clothing labels, Black-owned whisky distilleries, Black-owned restaurants, and more. And as an avid skincare and beauty blogger, I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of Black-owned, clean beauty, skincare brands.
This list is a little bit different because it’s where Black-owned business meets clean skincare. It’s not all Black-owned skincare. It’s not all Black-owned wellness. This is only Black-owned, clean skincare only. These brands are what I would consider to be clean according to my personal standards meaning no phenoxyethanol, synthetic fragrance, GSE or hidden 1,4 dioxane to name a few which you can read more about in 12 Hidden Ingredients in Skincare and Makeup.
To compile this list, I looked through This Organic Girl archives as well as Black-owned brand recommendations by Jacq’s, Beauty Independent, Leahlani and Gianne Dohorty—and I was able to put together this list below. It was hard to find full ingredient lists for some brands so please don’t consider this a complete list by any means. Just a place to start.
These brands are listed in alphabetical order. If you know of a Black-owned clean skincare brand that is missing from this list please comment below to add them in.
1. Aba Love Apothecary – Handcrafted holistic skincare and aromatherapy.
2. Afiya Beauty – A brand centered around wellness and health.
4. Amenda Beauty – Formulated to be results-driven and effective. This oil looks super chic.
5. Andrelle’s Natural Skin Care – Handcrafted skincare by a clinical herbalist with minimum ingredients for the best results.
6. Angie Watts – Natural, vegan and cruelty-free skin food.
7. Anne’s Apothecary – Clean, sustainable, natural skincare.
8. Ase Naturals – Products that promote self care and mindfulness with natural ingredients.
9. Aseede – A small edit skincare brand formulated with simple, clean ingredients.
10. Bee Happy – Made to order natural skincare products.
11. Bella Laine Naturally – Handcrafted natural skin and hair products.
12. Bibah Skincare – Curated botanical skincare for dry, sensitive skin. (OMG this line is super cute).
13. BLK GRN – All natural marketplace by all Black artisans.
14. Body Be Silk – reality TV star of Mind Your Business on the OWN network, Greta is an indie artistan and bath & body junkie creating clean body care products.
15. Breed Love Beauty Co – Love their options for one-ingredient organic oils.
16. Bri Braggs – Aromatic products. Hello Magnesium Oil!
17. Beneath Your Mask – Obsessed with her Remedy Conditioning Lip Balm. Chic. Effective. Smells amazing. So good.
18. Brosily Bath & Body – Nontoxic products that support your skin without harming your health.
19. Clean Rebellion – Transforming everyday castile soap into a premium soap used for your hair, face and body!
20. Champ De Fleurs Skincare – Check out these Caribbean inspired soaps.
21. Chloe + Chad – Vegan beauty products handmade in Brooklyn.
22. Dehiya – Simple, time-honored beauty with ethically sourced, highly-active, native and wild botanical ingredients from all over the world.
23. Demosea – Skincare products with botanical oils ethically and locally sourced delicacies from the deserts, mountains, and seas.
24. De Palma’s Hydrating and Clarifying Face Oil – Works to moisturize and help even skin tone.
25. Dutchess Beauty – Lip oils, scrubs and butters (I want to ask about the flavoring here : )
26. Earth Kissed Beauty – Clean skincare made simple. Blue Tansy body scrub anyone?
27. Elements of Aliel – All about the basic elements that make skincare effective.
28. Ellie Bianca – Extra organic skin oils and bath salts.
29. Eugenia Shea – Sustainable shea butter in uber chic cutest tins.
30. Everly Organics – Atlanta-based CBD infused skincare.
26. Ezàpè Naturals – Balms, butters and oils.
27. Folie Apothecary – Prickly pear face and hair oils (one of my favorite ingredients).
31. Forever Wild Organics – A waterless skin, hair and wellness product line made from vegan and medicinal ingredients. Products are meant to treat especially severe hair loss, hyperpigmentation and various internal issues.
32. Free + True – Next-level, air-weight skincare products that get the job done. I am IN LOVE with Body Prophet. You HAVE TO try it.
33. Girl B Natural – Feminine wash and care.
34. GLORYSCENT BEAUTY – A pro-melanin skincare brand created to protect the skin from environmental pollution.
35. Golde Face Masks – Products that look good, taste good, and help you feel like your best self.
36. Hanahana Beauty – Body butters, soap and scrubs but check out their shea balm (so pretty).
37. Harvest Natural Beauty – Plant-powered skincare.
38. Healing Place Apothecary – I have my eyes on their Black Soap Gentle Face Cleanser.
39. Hello Wellness Naturals – A collection of handmade all-natural personal care products. These look beautiful. I did notice one product contains “fragrance” which I would want more info on before recommending. All others look A+!
40. I + I Botanicals – CBD infused clean skincare.
41. INMYHEALS – A luxury natural bath and body brand focused on healing the mind, body & spirit.
42. Inua Skincare – Redefining ethical cosmetics, formulating powerful and effective natural products inspired by African beauty and health traditions.
43. IWI Fresh – Atlanta-based farm-to-skin line. Check out her most popular product; 14 Carrot Glow Balm.
44. IYOBA – One look at their artisan soaps and you will freak. STUNNING. Ingredients are not listed online but I chatted with the owner and they look great with a base of olive oil, organic coconut oil, safflower oil, spring water, sodium hydroxide and essential oils.
45. Jacq’s – Skincare for women of color by women of color. Organic. Vegan. Cruelty-free.
46. JD Bath & Co – Luxury bath care made for sensitive skin with the cleanest ingredients.
47. Kaiem – A marketplace sharing products created by African artisans with people all over the world.
48. Kaike – Because your skin should be celebrated.
49. KNC Lip Masks – One word, ORDERED!
50. Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oils – Natural and ethical beauty products from Haiti.
51. LBB – Innovative products that combine quality, performance and convenience. I am always on the lookout for clean face wipes. I need to try these.
52. Live Like You Green It – Sustainable skincare made from organic & wild harvested ingredients.
53. Lizzie’s All-Natural Products – Creates fresh, natural, toxin-free products for your home and body. Made from simple, plant-based ingredients that nourish your skin and body.
54. Loganne’s Love’s Bar Soaps – The brand was created to make body care products fun by reflecting the beauty of nature. Handcrafted in small batches.
55. Lotus Moon Pumpkin + Seabuckthorn Beauty Oil – Silky and soft beauty oil with 100% organic and vegan ingredients.
56. Loving Culture – USDA certified organic hair and scalp oil.
57. The London Grant Co – Body oils and polishes (and Atlanta-based!)
58. Lovinah – Time honored Ancient African beauty rituals to the modern day woman.
59. Make It Classy – DIY plant-based hair and skincare.
60. Marla Rene Skincare – Some ingredient lists were missing here but from what I could gather, this line looks clean!
61. Mary Louise Cosmetics – Soaps, hand sanitizers, serums, butters, face masks.
62. Matrescence – Safe skincare for motherhood.
63. Milked – OMG you HAVE TO check out these next-level soaps.
64. My Emollient – Multipurpose body butters packed with vitamins and antioxidants
65. Nolaskinsentials – Handcrafted, clean, crulty free. That Pumpkin Enzyme Mask tho!
67. Only Skin Brand – A 100% organic, one-product brand based out of Atlanta.
69. OUI THE PEOPLE – I love this beautiful rose gold safety razor engineered in Germany specifically for woman. It’s like a piece of jewelry for my shower and it was featured in my 2020 April Quarterly Faves.
70. Papa Rozier Farms – Real Castor and Moringa oil from scratch, from their family owned farm in Haiti, to your home.
71. Peak + Valley – Herbal supplements and medicinal wellness products.
72. Pholk – Skincare as a Diaspora Folk Beauty Culture where African-derived beauty wisdom is adapted with local ingredients. Soul food for your skin.
73. PiperWai – The original charcoal deodorant.
75. Pretty Well Beauty – A clean beauty and wellness retailer that features high quality, sustainable and clean products from brands all over the globe.
76. Purgasm Shop – Here to transform your skin. I checked on the fragrance here and it’s: “a blend of essential oils, plant absolutes and a small amount of certified organic fragrance from a company called Nature’s Flavors.”
77. R+R Luxury – Transforming one of nature’s purest and richest gifts – Shea – into the most enriching beauty products.
78. Reciprocitee – Their African Black Bar Soap looks so good and want to check out their bath bombs and shower steamers (ingredients not listed).
79. Redoux – Bottling memories through scent. Soaps and skincare with the prettiest packaging.
80. Roseman’s Remedies – Clean bath bombs and more in compostable packaging!
81. Rosen Skincare – Thoughtful skincare for people with acne-prone skin.
82. Satins Naturals – Deodorants, lotions, balms and more. Products with ingredients listed look clean. Some products do not list ingredients.
83. SDot Beauty – Skin, body, baby, hair, hand, nails. Love the concept of their Day + Night Serum Duo.
84. Shea Radiance Raw Shea Butter – Love that this a one-ingredient unrefined product.
85. Skin Buttr – A tight edit ranging from $12-$25.
86. Son Shine Bath – Another Atlanta brand for the books! (This O’Honey Facial Cleanser is calling my name).
87. Swabu – 100% Plant Based Whole Body and Hair Care Healing based out of Ohio.
88. Temple Zen Skincare – Handmade, high quality for brighter, healthier skin.
89. Terra Tory – No B.S. bar soaps and butters.
90. True Moringa – Boston-based and one of the first lines I ever tried in clean beauty.
91. Unplugged Essentials – Hemp-infused soaks for the body and mind. (These look SO GOOD!)
92. Urembo Asili – African inspired plant-based skincare.
93. Unsun’s Tinted Face Sunscreen – Comes in medium/dark or light/medium.
94. Uthmos – A skin care line that focus on mature skin, sensitive skin, and other unique skin challenges.
95. Wild Seed Botanicals – I didn’t make it past their beautiful bowl and brush set…
What brands are missing here? Comment below!